There's really nothing exciting going on in our household right now. Just typical day-in day-out routine. So here are 5 things you probably didn't know about CF.
1. There's a third type of diabetes.
Did you know that? Yep. CF related diabetes. Until my son was diagnosed, I had NEVER heard of it.
50% of people diagnosed with CF end up with CFRD. Oh, and...unlike types 1 & 2...they can't just help it along with insulin.
2. They are THISCLOSE to curing CF for double Delta F 508 mutations. That would lead to the cure for all the other mutations!
The basic defect in my son's mutations is that the salt receptors are MADE, they just don't get placed where they are supposed to be, thus CF. Kalydeco, and VX809, are both aimed toward correcting that salt receptor!!
3. Every day, someone is born with CF and someone dies from CF.
Do you see why we need the cure?!
4. Salty ocean air is supposed to be great for CFers. It helps them breathe better.
It makes sense, the defect is that salt doesn't pass through the cells like it should. Hypertonic Saline is salt water with lots of salt. Please though, tell me why I live in KANSAS?
and ... I'm going to double this one up. Because they play together.
5. 1 in 400 couples, both people carry mutated genes and don't know it. 1 in 31 people carry cf, and don't know. For every couple in which both parents are carriers, there is a 25% possibility that EVERY child they have will have Cystic Fibrosis.
Now then, visit Corban's website to donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and help make more tomorrows everyday.