June 6, 2011

My "New" Father In Law

Where do I start? When I met my husband, I didn't know how separated his family was. His father lives in New York. He hadn't seen him in just about 20 years. We went through our entrie relationship and he never mentioned him, I don't even remember how I learned about him. When we found out we were having Corban, he decided he wanted to find him. So we did. We started by writing a letter, which just happened to be the postman of the town he lives in. We later got a call from him. The communication was okay for a while and for some reason dropped of drastically. Then one day it just stopped. I remember right about Thanksgiving 2007 he called. Nobody was home to answer. But there was a message from him asking about the baby. Well, for almost 4 years now there had been no contact again. Then right around the first of the year, my husband start receiving friend requests from his relatives on his facebook. Which led to a cousin who actually lives with his dad. This quickly led to him coming to visit. At first I didn't know what to think. I was okay until the day he was coming. That morning when Matt text me to say he was in the air, for some reason I panicked, and from that moment forward I was so nervous I couldn't eat. I couldn't concentrate, anything. It was strange at first, I'll admit. Matt seemed to take right to him, and they picked up like they had never left off. Just like they lived apart, rather than had no contact for years. He was here only 4 days, and there was so much to learn. You cannot learn almost 20 years in 4 days.
He was very generous, very kind, and Not at all what I had pictured from the stories I'd heard. Our kids took right to him. Courtleigh cried tonight, because "I miss Grandpa." He found himself a home in their little hearts. I am still trying to process all the things I learned, and trying to figure out where I take the information. I have yet to hear what my husband thinks, but I hope he'll let me in and share that with me.
I am glad that the time for him and his siblings came for them to meet their father again after so many years. I hope that he doesn't let them down, and I hope that they can all learn to share the love that could have been there if they'd been around each other all these years. I pray that they all find the peace they deserve and get the answers I know that they so desperately desire.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I had no idea. Shows how much attention I pay to things......LOL

    Glad that the visit was nice and that you had a good time with him. This could be the start of a great relationship, but only time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not something he really talks about. Top it off with he came home three sheets to the wind so he doesn't talk even more. :(

    ReplyDelete